Potter and Pardhan Health Capacity model, 2006
At a 2006 Health Canada science forum, Ian Potter introduced a model of health defined as "both a state and process of well-being". He applied this to the notion of health capacity, which has a number of characteristics:
- It can be increased or decreased as a result of effort;
- It exists at both a personal and societal level;
- It is influenced by biological, social and economic factors;
- It can be stored for future use or used immediately; and
- Some elements are like a public good.
The social versus individual aspects of health capacity are shown on the left and right of the diagram, along with some factors that influence them. As a government proposal, Potter's perspective is on policies that may be used to foster such health capacity.