Professor, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Faculty of Medicine
Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology
Professor, Department of Medicine
Professor, Department of Pediatrics
Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario
Principal Investigator and Senior Scientist, Research Institute, CHEO
Areas of Clinical Expertise
Areas of Laboratory Medicine Expertise
- Virology and Immunology
- HIV immunopathogenesis
- Cytokine regulation
- Apoptosis of monocytic cells
- Host-pathogen interaction
- Jonathan Boucher, Kelley Parato, Fiona Frappier, Wei Ma, Niranjala Gajanayaka, Robin Parks, Ashok Kumar, and Jonathan Angel. 2009.Disparate regulation of LPS-induced MAPK signalling and IL-12p40 expression between different myeloid cell types with and without HIV infection" Under revision by Viral Immunology.
- Aurelia Busca, Mansi Saxena, Marko Kryworuchko and Ashok Kumar*. 2009. Anti-apoptotic Genes in the Survival of Monocytic Cells During Infection. Current Genomics. Volume 10, Number 5, August 2009 , pp. 306-317(12).
- Anita Benoit, Khaled Abdkader, Danylo Siskyj, Abdulkarim Alhetheel, Nadia Sant, Ashok Kumar, Francisco Diaz-Mitoma, Marko Kryworuchko. 2009. Reduced IL-7R expression in CD8 T cells from HIV+ patients is associated with the transcriptional repressor Gfi-1 and impaired STAT activation in response to IL-7 but not IL-2, IL-15, IL-4, and IL-10 AIDS. Jul 17;23(11):1341-7.
- Katrina Gee, Christina Guzzo, Nor Fazila Che Mat, and Ashok Kumar 2009. The IL-12 Family of Cytokines in Infection, Inflammation and Autoimmune Disorders. Inflammation and Allergy- Drug Targets. 8(1):40-52.
- Wei Ma, Sasmita Mishra, Jonathan B. Angel and Ashok Kumar*. 2009 Intracellular HIV-1 nef interferes with LPS signaling through JNK-activated NFB pathway and inhibits IL-12p40 production in human monocytic cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 284(12):7578-87.
- Alhetheel, A ., Yakubtsov, Y., Abdkader, K , Sant, N , Diaz-Mitoma, F., Kumar, A., and Kryworuchko, M 2008. Amplification of the STAT1 signaling pathway and its association with apoptosis in monocytes from HIV-infected patients. AIDS. 22(10):1137-44.
- Sirskyj D., Kumar A, Theze J and Kryworuchko M. 2007 Disruption of gc cytokine network in T cells during HIV infection. Cytokine. 43(1):1-14.
- Vranjkovic A., Crawley AM., Gee K., Kumar A., Angel JB. 2007. "IL-7 decreases IL-7 receptor-a (CD127) expression and induces shedding of CD127 by human CD8+ T cells" International Immunology, 19(12):1329-39.
- Ma, W., Sasmita Mishra, Katrina Gee, Jyoti P. Mishra, Jonathan B. Angel, and Ashok Kumar* 2007. Cyclosporin A and FK506 Inhibit Human IL-12-40 Production through the Calmodulin / Calmodulin-dependent Protein Kinase and PI3K Pathways in LPS-Stimulated Human Monocytic Cells: Evidence for Calcium Signalling and PI3 Kinase as Positive Regulators of IL-12p40 Production. Journal of Biological Chemistry 282(18):13351-62.
- Gee K, Angel JB, Ma W, Mishra S, Gajanayaka N, Parato K, Kumar A 2007. Intracellular HIV-Tat expression induces. IL-10 synthesis by the CREB-1 transcription factor through Ser 133 phosphorylation and its regulation y the ERK 1/2 MAPK in human monocytic cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 281(42):31647-58.
- Sasmita Mishra, Jyoti P. Mishra and Ashok Kumar* 2007. Activation of JNK-dependent pathway is required for HIV-Vpr-induced apoptosis in human monocytic cells: involvement of anti-apoptotic Bcl2 and c-IAP-1 genes. J. Biol. Chem. 282: 4288-4300.
- Katrina Gee, Jonathan B. Angel, Sasmita Mishra, and Ashok Kumar* 2007. HIV-TAT induces IL-10 expression via calcium-dependent p38 MAPK induced SP-1 and CREB1 activation in primary human monocytic cells. J. Immunology, 178(2):798-807.
- Creery D, William Weiss, Gina Graziani-Bowering, Ritesh Kumar, Zared Aziz, Jonathan B. Angel, and Ashok Kumar*. 2006. Differential Regulation of CXCR4 and CCR5 Expression by IL-4 and IL-13 is Associated with Inhibition of Chemotaxis and HIV-1 Replication but not HIV Entry into Human Monocytes.. Viral Immunology19(3):409-23
- Sasmita Mishra, Jyoti P. Mishra, Katrina Gee, Dan C McManus, Eric C LaCasse and Ashok Kumar 2005 Distinct role of calmodulin and calmodulin-dependent protein kinase-ii in lipopolysaccharide and tumor necrosis factor-a-mediated suppression of apoptosis and antiapoptotic c-iap2 gene expression in human monocytic cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry: 280(45):37536-46
- W. Lim, K. Gee, and A. Kumar*. 2005. Regulation of B7.1 Co-stimulatory Molecule is Mediated by the Interferon Regulatory Factor-7 Through the Activation of c-Jun N-Terminal Kinase in Lipopolysaccharide-stimulated Human Monocytic Cells. Journal of Immunology: 175(9):5690-700
- Prasad, J., S. Mishra, K. Gee and A. Kumar*. 2005. Differential Involvement of Calmodulin-dependent Protein Kinase-II-activated AP-1 and c-jun-N-Terminal Kinase-activated Egr-1 Signaling Pathways in Tumor Necrosis Factor-a and Lipopolysaccharide-induced CD44 Expression In Human Monocytic Cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry. Jul 22;280(29):26825-37
- Rahimi, AAR., K. Gee, S. Mishra, W. Lim, K. Gee and A. Kumar* 2005. STAT-1 mediates the stimulatory effects of IL-10 on CD14 expression in human monocytic cells. Journal of Immunology. Jun 15;174(12):7823-32