Back to Faculty and Staff - Ottawa Hospital page.
Marcio Mendes Gomes, MD, PhD, FRCPC, MHPE candidate
Associate Professor of Pathology
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Thoracic Pathology Lead, The Ottawa Hospital
Chair, Education Section, Canadian Association of Pathologists
Clinician Educator, Royal College International
Areas of Clinical Expertise
- Thoracic Pathology
- Gastrointestinal Pathology
- Thoracic Cancer
- Interstitial Lung Diseases
- Medical Education
Educational Awards and Honours
- University of Ottawa Teaching Skills Attainment Award with Distinction, Ottawa, Canada, 2015
- PARO Clinical Teaching Award, Professional Association of Residents of Ontario, Ontario, Canada, 2014
- Distinguished Teacher of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, June 2013.
- Top Poster Award, International Conference on Residency Education of the Royal college of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, Quebec City, Canada, September 2011. 3. Gomes M, Souza C, Bar J, Sekhon H. Interdisciplinary site-specific didactic meetings: Addressing competency-based education and program-based clinical services.
- University of Ottawa Teaching Skills Attainment Award with Merit, Ottawa, Canada, April 2011.
- Dr. M. Orizaga Award for Excellence in Resident Teaching, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Ottawa, April 2011
- Award of Excellence and innovation in Postgraduate Medical education – University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada, December 2010.
- University of Ottawa Teaching Skills Attainment Award, Ottawa, Canada, February 2009.
- Shoki A, Gomes MM, Gupta A, Kify O, Pakhale S, Mulpuru S. An important cause of non-resolving pneumonia. Respir Med Case Rep. 2016 Jul 5;19:40-2. Participated in writing and providing images for the pathology portion and also reviewing of the manuscript.
- Paliga A., Strickland S., Gomes MM. Hospital autopsy: A major medical education gap. Canadian Journal of Pathology. 2016 Vol. 8 Issue 1, p24-33. Participated in study design, reviewing and editing the manuscript, providing supervision to the residents.
- Wasserman JK, Purgina B, Sekhon H, Gomes MM, Lai C. The Gross Appearance of a NUT Midline Carcinoma. Int J Surg Pathol. 2016 Feb;24(1):85-8.
- Gomes MM. Competency-Based Medical Education in Pathology. Can J Path. 2015 Autumn;7(3):06-10.
- Earlam K, Souza CA, Glikstein R, Gomes MM, Pakhale S. Pulmonary Langerhans' cell histiocytosis and diabetes insipidus in a young smoker. Can Respir J. 2015 Sep 2. pii: 16996. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gaikwad A, Souza CA, Inacio JR, Gupta A, Sekhon HS, Seely JM, Dennie C, Gomes MM. Aerogenous metastases: a potential game changer in the diagnosis and management of primary lung adenocarcinoma. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2014 Dec;203(6):W570-82.
- Wheatley-Price P, Jonker H, Jonker D, Shamji F, Gomes MM. Thymic epithelial neoplasms: a 12-year canadian regional cancer program experience. Clin Lung Cancer. 2014 May;15(3):231-6.
- Pena E, Souza CA, Escuissato DL, Gomes MM, Allan D, Tay J, Dennie CJ. Spectrum of Non-infectious Pulmonary Complications after Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation: A Practical Approach to Imaging Diagnosis. RadioGraphics 2014 May-Jun;34(3):663-83.
- Zuzana Kos, Bruce F. Burns, Marcio M. Gomes, and Harman S. Sekhon. A Rare Case of Anaplastic Variant of Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma Presenting as a Lung Primary. Int J Surg Pathol. 2013 Jun 17. 2014 Apr;22(2):167-71.
- Harman Sekhon, Carolina Souza and Marcio Gomes. Advances in Cytopathology for Lung Cancer: The Impact and Challenges of New Technologies. Thorac Surg Clin. 2013 May;23(2):163-78
- Sulpher J.A., S.P. Owen, K. Tobros, F.A. Shepherd, E. Sabri, M. Gomes, H. Sekhon, G. Liu, C.M. Canil and P. Wheatley-Price. Factors influencing a specific pathologic diagnosis of non-small cell lung carcinoma. Clin Lung Cancer. 2013 Jan; 14(3):238-44
- Anand Gaikwad, Ashish Gupta, Sam Hare, Marcio Gomes, Harman Sekhon, Carolina Souza, Joao Inacio, Shilpa Lad, Jean Seely. Primary Adenocarcinoma of Lung: A Pictorial Review of Recent Updates. Eur J Radiol. 2012 Dec;81(12):4146-55
- Hare SS, Souza CA, Bain G, Seely JM, Gomes MM, Quigley M. The Radiological Spectrum of Pulmonary Lymphoproliferative Disease. Br J Radiol. 2012 July;85:848–864
- Xiaomei Yao, Marcio M. Gomes, Ming S. Tsao, Christopher J. Allen, William Geddie, Harman Sekhon, MD. Fine-needle aspiration biopsy versus core-needle biopsy in diagnosing lung cancer: a systematic review. Curr Oncol. 2012 Feb;19(1):e16-e27
- Lee L, Gomes MM, Ford JC. Pathology recruitment in Canada: does medical school education in pathology influence student career choice? Can J Path. 2012 Spring;4(1):11-17
- Edgecombe A, Peterson RA, Shamji FM, Commons S, Sekhon H, Gomes MM. Myopericytoma: a pleural-based spindle cell neoplasm off the beaten path. Int J Surg Pathol. 2011 Apr;19(2):247-51
- Nguyen BN, Edgecombe A, Gomes M, Soucy G, Marginean CE, Mai KT.Comparative Immunohistochemical Study of the Stroma of Serous and Mucinous Cystic Neoplasms: Possible Histopathogenetic Relationship of the 2 Entities. Pancreas. 2011 Jan;40(1):37-41
Back to Faculty and Staff - Ottawa Hospital page.